HELP:“How do I get a divorce if I don’t have money for lawyers?”

Anonymous from Pretoria writes:

My husband and I want to
divorce. But we both do not
have money to see a mediator. So we
need to find out if the courts will be able
to help us?


Ausi Nthabi answers: 
You and your husband must go
to a court near where you live
and the clerk of the court will
assist you with starting the process of
divorce. You will then see a mediator
who will assist you to draft the
settlement agreement.
This settlement agreement must
then be given to the clerk of court
who will include it as part of the court
documents, called pleadings.
On the date of the hearing, the
magistrate will ask both of you if you
agree with the terms of the agreement
and will make the settlement
agreement an order of court.